Skills are abilities which a character can use to perform a certain action. These abilities may be unique to a particular class, or can be used by anyone as long as a particular item is in his/her possession. Skills, no matter its purpose or role in combat, are essential in a character's development in the game, and the proper knowledge of how a skill is used is needed to conquer the different challenges in Dragon Nest.
A skill has particular properties which allow the Player to learn about a skill and how it works. Opening the Skill Window (default shortcut K) shows the skills learned by a character arranged in a grid-like layout, with arrows indicating which skills require which. Hovering over the skill icons show a tooltip which describes the corresponding skill, and right-clicking the icon will show a short movie that shows the effects of the ability in action.
- Name - The name of the skill.
- Skill Icon - A pictorial representation of the skill; is used in placing a skill in the skill toolbar.
- Skill Point (SP) Cost - Denotes how many skill points are needed to learn a skill (if it hasn't been learned) or to increase a skill's level (if otherwise).
- Mana (MP) Cost - Shows how much mana points the skill consumes. Only skills with an EX version spend mana.
- Effect - Describes the skill's effects.
- Duration - In certain skills, this shows how long the effect of a skill remains before wearing off.
- Cooldown - Denotes how much time is needed to wait before the skill is available to be cast again.
- Requirements - Lists down the requirements to learn the skill.
Types of skillsEdit
- Active skills - Skills that need to be invoked by the Player, usually by adding the skill to the skill bar and using the skill from there. Active skills are denoted by their blue skill icons.
- Offensive skills - Skills that are designed to debilitate or decrease the hit points of a chosen target.
- Supportive skills - Skills that benefit the user and/or allies.
- Ultimate skills - The most powerful skills of a particular class, available in first specialization classes. Ultimate skills have purple skill icons.
- Passive skills - Skills that have an effect which is constantly active or do not need direct player interaction. Examples of these are Auto Block, Crossbow Mastery and Duck. Passive skills have yellow skill icons.
- EX skills - Skills that exist as upgrades to existing skills. EX skills have pink skill icons.
Skills were learned by visiting the Skill Trainer corresponding to the character's class located on towns located throughout Lagendia. If the character has sufficient skill points, a new skill can be learned by clicking on the flashing flag icon next to the desired skill's icon and paying a certain fee in gold depending on the skill chosen.
Alternatively, right-clicking on a Skill Book allowed a character to learn a skill (again, given that the character has enough skill points) without any monetary cost.
In recent updates, skills can be learned without the presence of a skill trainer by opening the skill window and clicking on the flag icon beside the desired skill/s to be learned. A skill learning fee still applies.
- Version 70: Skills can be learned without the use of Skill Trainers and Skill Books.